Back to Top
Skip to main content

Enrollment and Student Academic Information Bulletin

Pass/Fail Option

Students should consult their school bulletins to determine eligibility and restrictions on the pass/fail options. The responsibility for approval of the pass/fail requests, as well as special regulations affecting the option, will rest with the deans of the students’ schools or divisions, under procedures established by the schools or divisions.

Students interested in taking classes under the pass/fail option should obtain pass/fail option forms from the deans of their schools or from those designated by the dean.

  • Undergraduate students in the College of Arts and Sciences must complete the Pass/Fail application after conferring with their academic advisor about the Pass/Fail option.
  • Kelley School of Business undergraduate students must meet with a Kelley Academic advisor to submit a Pass/Fail request. Pass/Fail may only be used for Supplemental Hours that are not Business courses.
  • University Division students should read the Pass/Fail Option website, and follow instructions.
  • Center for Students in Transition students should read the Pass/Fail Option website, and follow instructions.

All students should fill out pass/fail option forms in full, obtain the appropriate signatures, and return them to their school's Dean's office by the deadline published within the Official Calendar.

Instructors will not be notified by the Office of the Registrar about those students registering for the pass/fail option. A grade of P is not counted in grade averages; a grade of F is included. A grade of P cannot be changed subsequently to a grade of A, B, C, or D.