Back to Top
Skip to main content

Enrollment and Student Academic Information Bulletin

Office of the Registrar

Office of the Registrar
Telephone: (812) 855-6500

General Information

Information regarding the Release of Student Information Policy, registration, drop/add deadlines and procedures, and other general information is available throughout the Enrollment and Student Academic Information Bulletin.

Student academic record information not found in the Enrollment and Student Academic Information Bulletin can be obtained by contacting Student Central, 408 N. Union St., 855-6500.

Comments or questions regarding the planning, management, and evaluation of enrollment or the Enrollment and Student Academic Information Bulletin should be directed to Student Central, 408 N. Union St., 855-6500.


Please refer to Student Central's enrollment verification page for current procedures regarding enrollment verifications for loan deferments, insurance companies, or other student benefit program organizations. Academic record information available for verification may include prior and/or current enrollment, enrollment status, GPA, and final degree conferral.

Degree verifications will not be issued to students who have outstanding financial obligations , including past due accounts with Student Accounts (812) 855-6500, Student Loan Administration (812) 855-4511, Dean of Students/Greek Housing (812) 855-4311, or Student Ethics (812) 855-4463. If you have a past due balance with any of these offices, there will be a "hold" on your record and we will not be able to issue your degree verification. Please contact these offices for clearance before submitting an enrollment verification request.

"Public information" includes semesters enrolled, full/half-time status, degree verification, and address information. According to federal law and IU policy, we must obtain a student’s signature before we can release "private information" such as grades, GPA, good academic standing, and class schedule.

Change of Name

Current and Former Students

If your name has been legally changed, you’ll need to upload legal documentation using our secure contact form using the topic Update Name or Profile under the Student Records heading. Please submit legal documentation such as Social Security card, marriage certificate, or official court document. Once your form has been processed, your new name will be reflected on your academic record.

Your preferred first and middle names can be changed in Student Self-Service. Go to Personal information (students) in One.IU, and click Start. Click edit to modify your preferred name.

Note: If a student is also an employee, s/he must submit a name change to Human Resources, Poplars E165. Academic employees should submit their change to Faculty Records, Bryan Hall 016.

Change of Address

Any student whose local* (Bloomington area) address or telephone, or permanent student home (Stdt home) address or telephone number has changed should immediately report that change of address.

(*Exception: students living in the Halls of Residence or university housing should not update their Local address. This information will be maintained by the university.)

  • Current students may access One.IU and update your address electronically. Use the search field to locate the Personal Information option and select the tab labeled Addresses to edit your addresses.
  • Former students who have not been enrolled in any classes for two consecutive terms and whose computing accounts have been disabled, please submit your address change through our secure contact form using the topic Update Name or Profile under the Student Records heading.
  • Academic employees should submit their changes to Faculty Records.
Item Mailing Addresses When Mailed (approx.)
Current Enrollment Problems Local throughout the semester or summer sessions
DiplomasStudent Home 10-12 weeks after final degree is awarded

Note also that student home (Stdt home) address is the only address reflected on the student’s permanent records.

Final Grades

Final grades will be available via One.IU as they are submitted by the faculty and posted to your record. To view your grades:

  • Type "Grades" in the search field and follow the link.
  • Under the blue Academics bar, click on the My Academics and Grades link.
  • Under Term Information, click the View Grades link.
  • If prompted, select the appropriate term.

Please note that your semester and cumulative grade point averages will not be available until the grades are officially posted to the transcript (see Official Calendar for more information). Grades are available via One.IU at any time, except for 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. each morning, Monday through Saturday, and 12:01 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. on Sunday.

Grade Symbols and Abbreviations

Grading and Credit Point System

The following grades are considered in computing semester or cumulative grade averages:

A+ (4.0 Pts.) B+ (3.3 Pts.) C+ (2.3 Pts.) D+ (1.3 Pts.)
A (4.0 Pts.) B (3.0 Pts.) C (2.0 Pts.) D (1.0 Pts.)
A- (3.7 Pts.) B- (2.7 Pts.) C- (1.7 Pts.) D- (0.7 Pts.)
F Failing or Withdrawn-Failing (0.0 Pts.)

The following grades are not considered in computing semester or cumulative grade averages:

FX Denotes an undergraduate level course originally failed and subsequently retaken during or after first semester 1976-77. The course and assigned grade from the re-enrollment are shown as an additional line entry on the permanent academic record and the grade is computed in the cumulative grade-point average.
I Incomplete. Effective first semester 1977-78, Incomplete grades will be automatically changed to F after one calendar year unless the course instructor has submitted a grade earlier, or the student’s dean authorizes an adjustment of the one year period in exceptional circumstances.
NC No Credit (established 1971).
NR No Report filed by instructor.
NY Used to signify enrollment in a special program for which credit when earned will be shown as an additional entry on the permanent academic record.
O Denotes an Incomplete in a course taught through Purdue University.
P Passed (pass/fail option). The pass/fail option permits graduate and undergraduate students to enroll in a course and receive a grade of P or F. Pass/fail option courses are normally limited to electives. The responsibility of approval, as well as special regulations affecting the option, rests with the dean of the student’s school or division—under procedures which the school or division establishes. Instructors of undergraduate students are not notified of students registering for this option. A grade of P cannot be subsequently changed to a grade of A, B, C, or D.
R Deferred (effective second semester 1976-77). The grade R (deferred grade) used on the final grade report indicates that the nature of the course is such that the work of the student can be evaluated only after two or more terms.
S Satisfactory (entire section graded S or F).
W Withdrawn-Passing. Used to indicate withdrawal while passing or withdrawal during the automatic W withdrawal period. Effective second semester 1974-75 through second summer session 1995, indicates such withdrawals processed after the official drop and add period. Effective beginning first semester 1995-96, indicates such withdrawals processed after the first week of classes.
X Passed Without Grade (discontinued 1965; treated as Satisfactory).

GPA Calculations

Semester and cumulative grade-point average (GPA) calculations will appear on One.IU (once grades are official) and on the official Indiana University academic record as maintained by the Office of the Registrar. Students should note that a cumulative GPA and hours calculations as applied to degree requirements and graduation are maintained by the offices of the deans and recorders of the student’s school and may differ from those appearing on the university record. Students should consult the student records office of their school for all questions pertaining to degree hours and degree GPA.

Pass/Fail Option

See Pass/Fail Option in the index for references to further information.

Residence Classification

Every student who attends Indiana University is classified as either a resident or nonresident student for fee-paying purposes. Students who wish to appeal their residence classification or who have questions about their classification should first review the Rules Determining Resident and Nonresident Student Status for Indiana University Fee Purposes and then contact the Office of the Registrar, 408 N. Union St., 855-2464.

Students returning to Indiana University after an absence of twelve or more consecutive months will need to provide additional information to the Office of the Registrar in order to clarify their residence status for fee-paying purposes. This information concerns employment, residential addresses and enrollment at other institutions of higher education during the period since their last semester enrolled on any campus of Indiana University. Following registration for each session, a residence audit of the enrollment files will identify returning students. An e-mail request will be sent to those returning students who have not yet submitted the electronic Residence Classification Form for Fee-Paying Purposes at Indiana University form.

Room Scheduling

Faculty and Staff           

Submit a request for one-time or recurring events that take place in General Inventory classrooms (including computer labs) through the Campus Event Registration Form.

IU-Bloomington Students

Students can submit all campus event requests through the Student Involvement and Leadership Center, part of the Division of Student Affairs.  Go to the Event Registration Form.

Cancel or Alter a Reservation

To make changes to your online registration requests, please contact Room Scheduling via e-mail at or call us at (812) 855-2489, Monday through Friday until 4:30p.m.

Student Directory Information

All students have the option of excluding their local address, student home (Stdt home) address, or telephone numbers from the Bloomington Campus Student Telephone Directory (print or online). This option can be exercised by filling out the appropriate form at Student Central, 408 N. Union St., by the end of the first week of classes. This information will be excluded every semester after the form is filed, or until the student notifies the Office of the Registrar, in writing, to withdraw the exclusion.

Student Public Directories Exclusion

Students who wish an address and/or telephone number excluded from public directories can fill out the appropriate form at Student Central, 408 N. Union St. Additional exclusions are also available. Once the exclusion option has been processed, address and telephone information will be omitted from future public directories. This request will not prevent access to an address or telephone number when needed for official university business. If at any time a student wishes to reverse the exclusion option, a reinstatement request must be filed with the Office of the Registrar.

Certain information about students, called student directory or public information, can be released unless the student has filed a request for nondisclosure. Other information, called protected information, cannot be released without student consent. Learn more about each type of information and how to manage its privacy.

Public information about you includes:

  • Name
  • University email address
  • Major
  • Dates of attendance
  • Admission or enrollment status
  • Currently enrolled status (Y/N)
  • Campus, school, college, or division
  • Class standing
  • Degrees and awards
  • Activities
  • Sports and athletic information

To restrict the release of some of this information, log into One.IU and adjust your privacy settings in the Student Center.

To restrict the release of all of this information (known as a total FERPA restriction), you’ll need to contact Student Central.


Any student whose university financial account is clear may obtain a copy of his or her academic record at Indiana University, or request a copy be sent to a third party. For a full description of transcript information and in-person, mail, or online services, please visit Indiana University Transcripts to learn more about ordering a transcript. For further inquiry you may contact Indiana University Transcripts by e-mail at or by phone at (812) 855-4500.

Transcripts are not issued to students if they have outstanding financial obligations to the university.

Undergraduate Class Standing

Undergraduate class standing is determined by the number of hours completed in a student’s current program.

Freshman: 0-29
Sophomore: 30-59
Junior: 60-89
Senior: 90+